Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Rusted

Rusted by hbmike2000
Rusted, a photo by hbmike2000 on Flickr.

It's not often I show a before shot, in fact, I have only done it once but I thought it was time to do it again. Truth be told, I'm rusted and can't come up with a good (or bad) story. Nor did I have any idea what to shoot today but I know I wanted to shoot something.

With no idea what to photograph, I went outside and looked around. I try to come up with different photos to keep the viewer from getting bored with my shots and at the same time I want people to see a shot and know right away it's from me.

I found an old metal and glass candle holder hanging on the fence full of cob webs. I love the rust on it so I decided the rusted candle holder would be the subject.

As for the background, that was tougher. Composition is everything to me. You can't have a good shot without it.

I love my gargoyles and I haven't taken a photo of them in awhile so I decided I wanted one in bokeh for the background. I found one I thought made a nice profile. Then I found a nice red leafy plant in a pot and thought it would make great flames coming off the gargoyle.

So I placed the red leafy plant in a nice spot, positioned the gargoyle about a foot in front of it then placed the rusted candle holder about two feet in front of that. I took my camera, got a few inches from the candle holder and found the angle I wanted but then I had to re arrange the gargoyle and red plant to fit the line of sight.

Once set up, I took 5 shots at different exposures. Processed them through Niks HDR effexs. Then processed it through Niks Color Efex and smoothed the shot out using Niks Dfine. I saved it as a Tiff and opened the shot using Lightroom to add some finishing touches with saturation and exposure then saved as a Tiff and JPG. (jpg is uploaded on flickr, tiff is saved on my computer)

So thats how I take a shot and hopefully I can shake some of this rust off soon and get back to normal.

View on black or I will send the cobs to your house to leave there webs all over

Our Daily Challenge: Begins With R

No comments:

Post a Comment