Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Deere John


Deere John
Originally uploaded by hbmike2000
Our Daily Topic: Low Angle Shot

This shot always reminds me of my senior year in high school. I moved to Minnesota.

In the spring time a buddy of mine asked me if I wanted to work on his family farm, they needed some help and I needed a job. I gladly accepted.

I was hired along with two other friends and our job was to drive the tractor through the fields and pick out large rocks that could destroy the plows and other machinery.

Being 5'6" and 125 lbs and the smallest, wussiest of the bunch, I was nominated to drive the tractor. It was an old Bee tractor similar to the one in the picture only much longer. I hopped on, got a few lessons and was ready to go.

We hooked up a trailer to load rocks in, I started it up, revved the engine, realized I hadn't put it in gear, popped the clutch. Yeah, you should always remove your foot from the gas peddle when popping the clutch.

It was AWSOME! My first wheelie in a tractor!

Another quick class on taking your foot off the gas when putting it into gear and we were on our way.

I had to drive through a small stream with small, three foot banks. I drove down, got in the middle of the stream and the trailer hooked on something and stopped me cold. I turned off the tractor to hear the answer to my question of "HELP". I was told to just "Gun it". So I did. and there I sat, not moving! I heard someone yell, "Put it in gear", so I did, with my foot floored on the gas peddle!

I came out of that stream and up the bank flying like a bat at of hell!. I was airborn for what seemed like minutes. I landed on the back wheels with the front wheels about 7 feet off the ground. Just about wet myself.

A few minutes later, a little dust trail wound its way from the main house to where we were at. My friends father got out and whispered into his ear.

What did he say, I asked.

He said tell the city boy he's fired from tractor duty in the entire state of Minnesota and he better bulk up if he's gonna be pickin rocks out of my farm.

Two months later as we ate dinner, my friends father turned to me and basically told me he didn't think I would of lasted 2 hours let alone 2 months on the farm. He was real proud of me. It meant quite a bit to me that he felt that way. For a reward, he decided to let me try my hand at driving the tractor again. I felt like a kid in a candy store.

I was on the tractor before anyone was even out of there seats at the dinner table.

With excitement in my heart, I turned the key, stepped on the gas and popped the clutch! Yeah, that was pretty much the last time anyone has ever let me near a tractor

True story (for real)

No comments:

Post a Comment