Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lest We Forget

Lest We Forget by hbmike2000
Lest We Forget, a photo by hbmike2000 on Flickr.

We tend to forget things unless we are reminded sometimes. In my mad search to find something to photograph today, I came across this little red rubber ribbon in the junk drawer. As my fingers brushed across the surface I was reminded of a few things. It didn't remind me of AIDS, I am reminded of that everyday I wake up and see my partner who does. What it reminded me of are all the things I hear from other people.

"I hear they are close to a cure"
Not really. I've heard that since the early 90's.

"Does anybody really die of AIDS anymore"
Everyday

"With all the medication they have now, people with AIDS live happy productive lives."
The medication is harsh and relentless sometimes. The side effects can be truly horrible, making holding a steady job almost impossible sometimes. It can also be crippling or deadly in it's own right.

"If you are insured, how can AIDS be such a hardship"
It's called co-payments. Doctor visits $30, 15 to 20 prescribtions a month ranging from $10 to $60 each, guess what end that spectrum the majority are on.

"I don't know anybody who has "AIDS" or is effected by it."
Yes, you do.

Then I was reminded of the things people don't know. People don't know what it is like to walk into the living room to find there husband or wife lying on the couch, hoping they are asleep and not dead because they accidentally took too much of the wrong medication. Not once in awhile, but a couple times a week. They don't know what it's like to fight every month with the insurance company over approving the same damn medication that you have been using for the last eight years.

I was reminded of all this in fraction of a second as my fingers brushed across this tiny red rubber ribbon that I have no clue where I got. So I decided, this is what I would photograph for today. I would photograph it and post it for the challenge for all to see and hope with all my heart that you don't forget




Our Daily Challenge: Rubber

No comments:

Post a Comment