Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Empowerment Of A Child's Dream

Via Flickr:
When I was but a wee lad, all my friends wanted to be Policemen, Firemen, Doctors and a Ballerina (that was my fault, I convinced him Ballerina was another word for Super Hero. Not a good idea since his Mother was still mad at me for dying her rabbit blue and trying to convince her it was just really cold)

One morning my Dad asked me, Son, what do you want to be when you grow up? With pride in my eyes I exclaimed loudly, a HOBO. He stared at me blankly for a minute then asked me if I knew what a Hobo was. Sure, I replied. A Hobo rides the rails from one side of the country to the other through mountains, deserts, forests and along the oceans. A Hobo eats beans over an open fire under the stars and sleeps outside in a sleeping bag. A Hobo carries his lunch wrapped in a red handkerchief at the end of stick. A Hobo gets ... My Dad held up his hand to stop me from talking. He looked down at me and said, Son, A Hobo is a bum. I smacked him with my stick with my lunch wrapped in a red handkerchief at the end. Beans flew everywhere. The cans were too heavy so I just poured the beans into the handkerchief. Don't call your son a bum, I exclaimed. With beans splattered across his cheek, he ruffled my hair, smiled and said, Son, you'll make a fine hobo one day.

View with empowered dreams of a child (I still dream of being a Hobo by the way so if one day you see a wall splattered with beans, my dream came true and I'm traveling by rail)

for
Our Daily Challenge: Empowerment

No comments:

Post a Comment